source: LOC LC-DIG-ppmsca-36600
President Theodore Roosevelt drew over 150,000 people at the dedication of the statue of General Henry Ware Lawton on May 30, 1907. Shown at the corner of Delaware and Washington Street with podium in front of the old Marion County Courthouse, which was torn down in the 1960s.
General Lawton joined the military at the beginning of the Civil War at the age of 18. He led the charge to peacefully capture the Apache Chief Geronimo in the 1880s. Ironically, he was killed during the Philippine-American War at the Battle of Paye in a skirmish with a soldier under the command of general named Licerio Geronimo.
General Lawton's statue resides in Garfield Park on the south side of downtown Indianapolis.